Sunday, January 28, 2007

Plum Lovin' & Braving Home

I recent finished 2 books, Plum Lovin' by Janet Evanovich and Braving Home by Jake Halpern. Plum Lovin' is sort of an offshoot of the Stephanie Plum series. This was had a Valentines Day theme and there was another one that had a Christmas theme. I liked this one better than the Christmas one, but I definitely like the numbered books better than either of these. Again, her car didn't blow up which is something I keep waiting for. Someone did get chained in a bathroom which happens quite frequently. Or at least more often than you would imagine it happening.

The second book, Braving Home, was really good. It told the stories of 5 people who lived in what other people might consider impossible to live locations, and have actually stayed there through horrible weather and natural disasters. The one that interested me the most was the man who lived in Grand Isle, Louisiana. He, and others on the island, mentioned Hurricane Betsy and the destruction that came with it many times. They also seemed resigned to the fact that there would be other hurricanes, and that a bad one was due to come sometime soon. This book was written and published pre-Katrina and I can't imagine that much of the island was left after Katrina came through. The few articles I've read say that the residents are rebuilding their homes and their lives. I can't even imagine.

One of my favorite parts of the book was the epilogue. I often wonder when I finish books, even ficition books, what happened to the characters after the book ended. The author went back and revisited each of the 5 people he had spent time with before. All 5 of them were just as determined to stay put in their homes and never leave.

No comments: