Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Memory Keeper's Daughter

We had an interesting discussion about The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards. A few questions that got everyone talking were:

1. What could Caroline have done differently? Mainly she could have told Norah the truth from the beginning. I think she was right to take the baby instead of leaving her in the institution, and obviously she loved her and raised her well, but she should've told Norah at the start.

2. How would Norah and David's relationship been different if he'd told her the truth? I think Norah would have wanted to raise Phoebe at home. There wouldn't have been this big gulf between them and maybe they would've had a good marriage. Maybe not. In any case, even though she didn't know what was causing the distance between them, Norah realized early on that something was not right and she didn't know how to fix it.

Judy suggested 4 books: The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, by Stephen King, The Faith Club, by Ranya Idliby, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and The Innocent Man, by John Grisham. I voted for The Faith Club. We're reading The Innocent Man, so I was obviously outvoted!

I haven't read very much of The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank, but I am going to try to finish it. Right now I'm busy with birthday party preparations so I haven't had much free time to read.

Ryan still loves reading. He's made up his own titles for some of his favorites. Very cute. Here are a few titles. Left Foot (The Foot Book, by Dr. Seuss), How Much (Guess How Much I Love You, by Sam McBratney), Mother (Are You My Mother, by P.D. Eastman), and La La La (Moo, Baa, La La La!).

2 comments:

Frankie Perussault said...

Hi Kristen,
How can you read so many books? Is it a kind of addiction?! I saw one of your favorite book is A town called Alice. I did love that book when I read it a long time ago. I lived in the outback of Australia 30 odd years ago!
Best regards, f r a n k i e

kristen said...

It probably is kind of an addiction! I've always loved to read and there are so many books out there that I want to read so I try to make the time.

A Town Like Alice is one of 2 favorite books. I love it and have read it probably 20 times.