Monday, November 14, 2005

Speak Softly, She Can Hear

I just finished Speak Softly, She Can Hear, by Pam Lewis. This book sort of snuck up on me. I started reading it while I was feeding Ryan and found it so disturbing, every time I picked it up I planned to get another book and read something else. Then I'd forget to bring another book up with me and would just keep reading it. It was disturbing b/c the first scene is a major scene in the book and the subject was not only disturbing, but something that made me feel uncomfortable to read while feeding my sweet little baby. I kept reading it though, mostly just because I didn't have another book handy, and found myself really wanting to find out what happened! Throughout the book, I kept wanting to make different choices for Carole. I wanted her to tell someone (her Mother, Father, Will?) not sure who, but understanding why she felt she couldn't. The end was tied up a little too neatly, and the fact that the author tried to redeem Naomi was a little annoying, but all in all it sucked me right in and kept me interested until the end, after I got past the wanting to put it down part. That was more b/c of the proximity to the baby than the content of the book though. I'll have to do a better job picking the books I'm going to read while feeding, although if that had been the case, I probably never would've read it. Outside of feeding time, I don't have a whole lot of time to read.

That's why it's taking me eons to read First Families: The Impact of the White House on Their Lives, by Bonnie Angelo. That's one of two books I'm reading right now. The other is The Mommy Fund by Madeline Jacob. This is an extremely light read that I'm not sure I'll finish. Although, based on my reasoning in the above paragraph, I probably will!

The book I should be reading is Waiting, by Ha Jin, this month's book club book. We meet on Monday at my house and I don't even have a copy of it yet. A friend from book club started it and couldn't finish it. That doesn't make me want to run out and get started. I will though. Maybe tomorrow...

No comments: