Thursday, December 29, 2005

Irish Girls are Back in Town

I've been reading, just haven't been posting. Sometimes it's hard to find the time. Book club last week was a little random. Half the people read The Myth of You and Me and the other half read To Kill a Mockingbird. I read The Myth of You and Me and about half of To Kill a Mockingbird. I've read it at least 20 times, so I felt okay leading the discussion. Most of the discussion of The Myth of You and Me was about whether or not you'd ever broken up with a friend, and the two women's relationships with their parents. All the breaking up with friends was over a guy, either a friend hooked up with your boyfriend, or a recent ex. Interesting. We didn't really discuss To Kill a Mockingbird very much. As I was reading it I realized what a great book it is and how much I enjoy reading it every time I pick it up. I'm going to finish it as soon as I get a chance.

Book club meets again on Jan. 23rd. We're reading A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. I probably wouldn't have picked this because it's so popular since Oprah chose it as one of her selections. I don't usually have any great desire to read the popular book of the time. That's why book club is good for me, I never would've read Da Vinci Code either. If there's too much hype, I assume (sometimes wrongly!) that a book will never live up to it, and it's not worth my time to read it when there are so many other books out there to be read.

I just finished Irish Girls are Back in Town, a collection of short stories by Irish women authors. Some of them were good, but overall it wasn't one of the best short story compilations I've read. A few of the stories were really just kind of boring. I'm pretty certain I've read a few other books recently, but I have a hard time remembering what they are. Since the baby arrived, my memory has been kind of iffy. Oh well. Honestly, he gets cuter every day!

No comments: