Monday, March 19, 2007

But Enough About Me...

We discussed The Fig Eater at our most recent book club. Only two of us finished the whole book and one woman read about half of it. It was a strange book, lots of references to gypsies and their superstitions. I would say that overall I didn't like the book, but it was fun to discuss it. There was a lot of "how about that part when the woman did this" and "why would somebody do something like that" and I think the other women at book club that night were wishing they'd read the book so they had some idea what we were talking about. I suggested the three books for next time:

The True & Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters, by Elisabeth Robinson (this is what we're reading)
The Quality of Life Report, Meghan Daum
A Hole in the Universe, Mary McGarry Morris

I've read several other books recently. The first, On Wings of Eagles, by Ken Follett. This book had been on my shelves with the other Ken Follett books and I had assumed it was fiction. I was surprised to find when I started reading it that it was a true story. It was a story about breaking two men out of an Iranian prison. The crazy thing was that they worked for Ross Perot's company and he was the one who decided to pursue the rescue mission after diplomatic efforts failed. It's still not clear why they were detained, but it appears that the Iranian government didn't want to pay for work that had been done and also thought that Perot's company had been involved in bribing officials. I really enjoyed the book and can't believe a movie wasn't made of this crazy story.

I also read But Enough About Me... by Jancee Dunn. This book was laugh out loud funny to me at various points. The parts I enjoyed most were her stories of growing up in New Jersey with her family and some of the interviews that she described. She grew up in the 80s so a lot of the things she described I remembered from my own childhood. It was very funny. She also went to the University of Delaware, which was a coincidence.

This morning I finished Nearlyweds by Beth Kendrick. It was cute and an interesting premise. Three women find out that the paperwork for their weddings wasn't properly filed and they're not really married. Two of the women stay with their "husbands" and one doesn't. It was predictable in that the two I hoped would stay together, did. I enjoyed it though.

No comments: