Sunday, August 20, 2006

My Sister's Keeper

I finished the latest book club book last night, 2 whole days early! It was My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. I didn't want to read it and voted for another book. It's about a young girl who's dying of cancer. Her parents went to a geneticist and had another baby who was a genetic match to be a donor for this girl. The idea was to use the cord blood, but Anna ended up being a donor for most of her life. She finally decides she doesn't want to be a donor anymore, even though it means her sister will die. There's more to it than that, but I'm not going to ruin it for someone who wants to read it.

The part about the donor made me think a lot, but that wasn't why I didn't want to read it. Since becoming a Mother, I've found it very hard to hear or read about kids who are dying or have died. I love my little guy so much I can't imagine my life without him. Can't even imagine. Being a Mom is the best, but it's also terrifying. There are so many things that go on that are a danger to your child, and most of them you can't control. I do everything I can to make sure his world is safe and happy and it's not enough. Anything could happen - an accident, disease, whatever - and it's out of my control and that makes me sick to my stomach. This book was one big reminder of this and it was really hard for me to read.

We meet Monday night and I'm sure we'll have an interesting discussion.

Right now I'm reading two other books. One is a biography of Edith Wharton, one of my favorite writers. The other is Saving Agnes. I can't remember the author's name. I'm not very far into either of them.

No comments: