Monday, October 03, 2005

Twins of Tribeca & 84, Charing Cross Road

I finally finished Twins of Tribeca. It turned out to be better than I thought it would be. It took me a while to get into it. It's one of those books, like The Devil Wears Prada, where you can hardly believe that people have that kind of work environment. Crazy. I read a really interesting book, nonfiction, a while ago about the history of a talent agency. That's another of those ridiculous jobs where people have to do the strangest things as part of their normal work day. It's so far removed from what I do. I can't for the life of me remember what that book was called and it's going to bug the crap out of me until I figure it out.

I also finished 84, Charing Cross Road. It was okay. Really, that's all I have to say about it.

Ok, I finally found it. The book is called The Mailroom: Hollywood History from the Bottom Up. I really liked it. It was a history of talent agencies and how people start out in the mailroom doing all kinds of grunt work and work their way up in the company. It's a series of interviews with various people who have worked in mailrooms over the course of the last 50 years or so. Very interesting.

No comments: